“You didn’t know you were supposed to be unhappy as a single adult until you went to church and found the singles ministry to be akin to a support group.”
I saw this statement on a post from Stuffchristianslike.net and just had to smile. It’s true many singles ministries fail to meet the needs of singles in the church. Typically singles ministries are geared towards one target audience though the ministry includes a hodgepodge of singles at different age groups, life stages, etc.
One issue that can be troublesome for singles in church is the feeling that they don’t belong or fit in anywhere. I am blessed to be a part of a church that has a great singles ministry. It is a thriving ministry that truly seems to be a thoughtful part of the church and not just an afterthought. I don’t take this for granted because I have been a part of singles ministries in the past that never seemed to maintain my interest or help me grow as a Christian single.
So what’s so different about my current singles ministry? I’m glad you asked. Below are five basics that make this singles ministry standout for me.
- Creates an atmosphere for spiritual growth and Christian maturity – messages cover a broad range of topics that challenge me to grow as a Christian and not simply a variety of messages about saying no to sex. Granted abstinence is an important message to share with Christian singles, but abstaining from sex is not the only struggle a Christian single faces.
- Plans a variety of activities that appeals to many – every singles event is not a standard church service or bowling activity. From small groups to rock climbing to game night and more, there seems to be something for everyone.
- Gets Christian single men engaged in ministry activities – this is so important, not just for the continued growth of the men but because Christian single women need to see examples of Godly single men in action so they will be confident they really do exist and stop settling for carnal men.
- Includes personal contacts with members – it’s relatively simple to develop a database of ministry members but to actively utilize that database to reach out can be life changing. Personalized emails, birthday greetings and occasional calls just to let you know that you have been missed from the fellowship or to ask if you need prayer are simple things that make a huge difference to a Christian single who may feel disconnected.
- Includes an outreach component – outreach should be a natural extension of the church, but getting singles involved in outreach is a great way to help us maintain a consistent focus on others which actually helps prepare us for marriage and learn to resist the tendency to become self-centered.
The interesting thing is that there is nothing innovative or mind-blowing on this list. These are simple practices that any singles ministry can easily put into place. A singles ministry should help meet the spiritual needs of single adults and help them mature in their Christian walk in addition to fellowship opportunities.
What makes your church’s singles ministry a good fit for you?
About the Author
Lisa is the creator of www.the-christian-single-woman.com, a website dedicated to helping Christian single women lead fulfilling and whole lives during their season of singleness. Though singleness is not a desired state for most, she is a firm believer that it should not be a season of depression. As a Christian single who has endured many ups and downs in singleness, her heart’s desire is to be a voice of encouragement for Christian single women to remind them they are not alone, they have not been forgotten and most of all that they are loved by Christ.